top of page

Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine Kolkata Discussed about Sepsis at 30th ISCCM Day Seminar

DSC_6107 copy.jpg

News Desk, News Nation 360 : According to a survey by the World Health Organization WHO in 2017, in every year 48.9 million people have suffered from Sepsis globally. Half of them are children of less than five years. Sepsis may occur in any infection. It is one of the major reasons for death happening for multi-organ failure for sepsis. Every year about 11 million patients are died including 2.9 million children. It is assumed that the numbers have increased in the post covid period. The death rate is more than double in developing countries like India than the developed countries. The 30th ISCCM Day seminar, hosted by the Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine Kolkata Branch, will focus mostly on sepsis. Prominent critical care physician Dr Souren Panja, who chairs the ISCCM Kolkata Branch, has stated that early detection and accurate diagnosis have been crucial to treating this feared illness. If real treatment is initiated at this point, the death

rate might be reduced. Sepsis can be caused by a bacterial, viral, or parasitic infection, according to Secretary Dr. Saswati Sinha. Sepsis is more common in patients with chronic illnesses, cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, elderly and paediatric patients, pregnant women, and new moms. Dr Asif Iqbal, Dr Soutik Panda, and other participants' talks have shown that sepsis is treatable if the appropriate multidisciplinary care is initiated as soon as possible to prevent the failure of important organs like the heart, liver, and kidney at an advanced stage. According to Drs. Dipanjan and Partha Goswami, even with the finest care, 40% of sepsis patients die from multiple organ failure. Of these 300, 52% have contracted an infection from the community, while the remaining 48% have received medical care. According to a relatively recent poll conducted by the Society's members, 30% of the 300 patients across seven hospitals in Kolkata have sepsis. Dr Sudipta Mukherjee, Dr J Sharma and many other super specialists have been present at this seminar. Mass awareness is also necessary for the control of this dreaded disease in conclusion,

Pic : Krishnendu Kundu

Report : Anustup Kundu

bottom of page